Right now Tomato is at Rs.12/- for 1.5kgs near our place. Since its the season of Tomatoes I decided I should make Tomato jam. My mother used to make this when I was a kid and as far as I remember, it was the simple version of the tomato jam with just sugar & lemon juice in it. But I chose the recipe from Swapna's blog.
Makes about 500gms of Tomato Jam
Ingredients:
Tomato- Ripe- 1 kg
Water- 5 cups
Sugar- original recipe calls for 1kg, but I added about 4 small cups of sugar
Cinnamon stick- 3x1 inch stick
Clove- 8
Lemon juice- from 1 large lemon
Method:
Chop the tomatoes and cook them in 5 cups of water till they are tender
Let the mixture cool and puree it in a blender.
Strain it to remove all the left over seeds/ skin.
Take a heavy bottom pan, add sugar, cloves, cinnamon & lemon juice and cook the mixture on medium flame.
Stir continuously till the mixture thickens. You will know the jam is ready when you pour a drop of jam into water and the jam jellies.
Dont over cook and else you will not be able to spread the jam.
The stirring will be needed for close to an hour on medium or low flame..so ensure you have that much time in hand before you start.



No comments:
Post a Comment